Healthy Tortilla Soup
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (extra for topping)
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS ground cumin or chili powder
- Your favorite corn tortillas (for topping)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Avocado (for topping)
- Hot sauce (for topping)
- In a large Dutch oven (or large pot), add the stock, half of a yellow onion, and chicken breast
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until chicken is cooked through completely and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 15-20 minutes
- Remove chicken and set aside. Strain broth through a mesh strainer into a bowl and set aside. Discard 1/2 onion.
- In Dutch oven or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add remaining 1/2 onion, finely diced, orange pepper and Roma tomatoes and cook until vegetables are tender and translucent about 10 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic, cumin or chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth to Dutch oven or pot and cook until lightly simmering.
- Add corn, black beans. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the pot.
- Simmer until corn and beans are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro, and the juice of 1 lime and stir to incorporate. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your toppings and Enjoy!