Tomato Soup + Grilled Cheese
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup cashew/coconut milk
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- generous amount of black pepper
- sprinkle of red chili flakes, optional
- Cheese, any kind
- Pesto, optional
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add in olive oil, onions, basil, and black pepper.
- Let onions caramelize, about 10 mins, until browned. Stirring often.
- Add in tomatoes, and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add in sea salt and more basil, pepper, and red chili flakes, if desired.
- Simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally. Let cool while making grilled cheese.
- Drizzle olive oil in pan on medium-low heat. If desired, spread pesto on bread and then add cheese.
- Put pieces together and place in pan, cook until toasted, flipping half way.
- Pour soup in blender and blend until super smooth.