Turkey Burger with Roasted Carrots (All cooked in a pan)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 4 slices cheese (optional)
- Hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 pounds large carrots, peeled, cut crosswise into 3 to 4 in lengths and cut lengthwise into even pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- Place oil in a 12 in nonstick skillet ans set aside. Combine water and baking soda in a small bowl. Place turkey in a large bowl (we used our kitchen Aid).
- Drizzle baking soda mixture evenly over turkey, followed by soy sauce and melted butter. Evenly sprinkle Panko, pepper, and salt over turkey mixture. Combine.
- Divide meat into 4 lightly packed portionss, about 4 ounces each. Gently flatten 1 portion into patty about 1/2 inch thick and about 4 inches in diameter.
- Transfer patty directly to prepared skillet (Pan is still cold) and repeat with remaining portions.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. When patties start to sizzle, cover the skillet and cook until patties are well browned on bottom, about 2 1/2 mins.
- Carefully flip patties*, cover, and continue cooking until second side is well browned and burgers register 160 degrees, 2 1/2-3 mins longer.
- *If using cheese, place 1 slice on each burger about min before burgers finish cooking.
- Transfer burgers to a plate and let rest for 5 mins, then transfer to buns and serve.
- Mix water and salt in a 12 in skillet until salt dissolves. Place carrots in skillet, arranging as many carrots flat side down as possible (not all will fit in a single layer).
- Drizzle oil over carrots. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook, without moving carrots, until carrots are crisp-tender and water has almost evaporated, 8-10 mins.
- Uncover and gently shake skillet until carrots settle into even layer. Continue cooking, not moving the carrots but occasionally pressing them gently against skillet with spatula, until water is completely evaporated and underside of carrots are deeply browned, 3-5 mins longer..
- Stir carrots and flip pale side down. Cook until second side is lightly browned, about 2 mins. Transfer to dish and serve.